Riverdale Park Police Department Complaint Policy
It is the policy of the Riverdale Park Police Department to investigate all allegations and complaints of misconduct against members of the Department. Proper adherence to the provisions of this policy will clear the innocent and facilitate prompt and equitable action.
1. A complaint against a Department member should be made to the Shift Supervisor, on duty Commander, or Chief of Police, either in writing, by telephone (301-927-4343), or by coming to the Police Department located at 5004 Queensbury Rd. Riverdale Park, MD 20737.
2. Complaints which are not informally settled, and may result in disciplinary action are referred to the Chief of Police for investigation. All complaints which allege criminal violations, corruption, excessive force, etc. will also be referred to the Chief of Police.
3. A thorough investigative report will be completed in accordance with the Law Enforcement Officers’ Bill of Rights as mandated in Public Safety Article 3-§101 of the Annotated Code of Maryland and, subsequently, will be forwarded to the Chief of Police, who will review the findings and make a determination as to the action taken.
4. The Assistant Chief of Police, or designee, will notify the complainant of the disposition of the investigation.
Complaint dispositions are designated as follows:
Sustained Misconduct Not Based on Original Complaint
Administrative Closure *
* Complaints will receive an Administrative Closure if the complainant did not want a formal action taken, if the complaint was concerning the interpretation of law or Department procedures and not the officer’s actions, or if the complainant could not be contacted.