HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE
Household hazardous waste is any product labeled as toxic, poisonous, corrosive, flammable, combustible or an irritant that when disposed of improperly poses a threat to human health and the environment. Hazardous waste materials should not be placed in the trash, poured down the drain, or into storm drains, or burned.
The landfill site for disposal of hazardous materials is located at Brown Station Road, 11611 White House Road, Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772. The hours of operation are Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
If you have questions concerning recycling or other services, please call 301-883-5045.
Acceptable Household Hazardous Waste Materials
- Poisons, cooking oil, fire extinguishers, gas grill propane tanks, cleaning agents, solvents, varnishes and stains
- Oil-based paints, acid car batteries, helium balloon tanks, household batteries, helium balloon tanks
- Insecticides, herbicides and fertilizers, automotive fluids and fuels, driveway sealers
- Swimming pool chemicals, fluorescent light bulbs
- Mercury and other hazardous materials
- Photographic chemicals
- Flourescent Light Bulbs
- Paint Thinner
Materials should be taken to the disposal site in their original containers.
Unacceptable Household Hazardous Waste Materials
- Commercial, industrial or medical waste
- Radioactive materials
- Large oxygen tanks
- Large propane gas tanks
Prescription Drugs Disposal – To properly dispose of unused prescription drugs, please remove from prescription bottle to protect your personal information, then crush them and place in a can or other impermeable container.